There are seven resident UN agencies and several non-resident agencies in Lesotho.
- UN Resident Agencies: FAO, UNAIDS, UNDP, UNICEF, UNFPA, WHO and WFP.
- UN Non-Resident Agencies, Funds and Programmes: IAEA, ILO, IOM, IFAD, OCHA, UNCDF, UNESCO, ITC, UNIC, UNIDO, UNCITRAL, UNEP, UNECA, UNCTAD and UN Women.
A United Nations Resident Coordinator is the designated representative of the UN Secretary General and is the highest UN official and the chief of UN diplomatic mission in a country (except when there is a mission of the Department of Peacekeeping Operations or similar, in which case the Special Representative of the Secretary-General is the highest official). It confers the same rank as an Ambassador of a foreign state.
The Resident Coordinator (RC) system encompasses all organizations of the United Nations system dealing with programmatic and operational activities for development and humanitarian assistance. The RC system aims to bring together the different UN agencies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operational activities at the country level. RCs, who are funded by UNDP and a global cost sharing system, lead UN Country Teams in more than 130 countries and are the designated representatives of the Secretary-General for development operations.
Working closely with national governments, Resident Coordinators and Country Teams advocate the interests and mandates of the UN system while drawing on the support and guidance of the entire UN family. The objective of the RC system is to promote and facilitate coordination and the efficient management of UN activities thereby enabling optimum UN System support for national capacity-building to assist Lesotho realize its national priorities and goals.
In Lesotho, Ms. Karla Robin Hershey is the UN Resident Coordinator who heads the United Nations System and also serves as the Resident Representative for UNDP (United Nations Development Programme).
Resident UN Agencies in Lesotho
- FAO – Food and Agriculture Organization
- UNAIDS – Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS
- UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
- UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund
- UNICEF – United Nations Children’s Fund
- WFP – World Food Programme
- WHO – World Health Organization
Non-Resident UN Agencies in Lesotho
- ILO – International Labour Organization
- UNESCO – United Nations Educational, Scientific Organization
- UNV – United Nations Volunteers